We now are offering Devs Base Swag. Get yours now.
https://teespring.com/devs-base-swag
http://www.zazzle.com/devs_base

Re: [NIGHTLIES] Evervolv 7.1

The big differrnce seems to be the wi-fi driver. Quite simply, the tablet was very close to cripled when a rom was coming in using system updater app to dl a new nightly. Almost was maxed out doing that rom download. Now since the new wi-fi software, when a rom is downloading from evervolv updates system app.....the tablet is perfectably usable.

Seeing this, I decided, while working on tablet 2 getting 10-30 on it, while 10-30 was dling from evervolv updates system app. I launched the Opengapps site and began downloading the pico variant. This worked just fine, and then with both of them downloading, I launched a stream and was listening to a show

This was previously imposssible

I concur that the wi-fi doesn't seem to be dropping / refusing to connect to a saved network any further.

I have to conclude that the driver for the wireless device has been the problem with this rom all along. The lag events were simply the kernel tripping up over / having cpu capitalized / and constantly reconnecting wi-fi driver tieing up the kernel and holding up the OS

Co-incidentally, whatever software change to the wi-fi software was needed to comply with the fix for the KRACK hacking attacks must have cleared the trouble and freed up the wasted cpu cycles and kernel trouble keeping the os networked

Likely the same issue on wake

I know cause i use them so prolifically, when waking, the wi-fi was ALWAYS disconnected, and with the wi-fi software having been in such a stupor.....it lagged the wake process as the os waoted for the network....

When I wake the tablets now, the wi-fi is already up amd stably linled

Sent from my Touchpad using Devs Base mobile app powered by Tapatalk

[NIGHTLIES] Evervolv 7.1

geomatic wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:58 pm
lip wrote: Yeah. All 3 of mine are philthy phlashes all the way since android 5 up to the present.

Sent from my Touchpad using Devs Base mobile app powered by Tapatalk
@lip: do you use SKZ kernel?

Gesendet von meinem XT1580 mit Tapatalk

I am not using the higher performance SKZ kernel yet. I had decided a long time ago that I would wait till the ROM was at a state of Dev where it seemed close to finished / worked out as much as it was going to be, so I guess I may try it soon, but I have been having very good results with just changing the Interactive to Ondemand and bumping the clock up to max 1674 speed. Runs rather nice like that.

Lip Lip Lip

Re: [NIGHTLIES] Evervolv 7.1

lip wrote:
geomatic wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:58 pm
@lip: do you use SKZ kernel?

I am not using the higher performance SKZ kernel yet. I had decided a long time ago that I would wait till the ROM was at a state of Dev where it seemed close to finished / worked out as much as it was going to be, so I guess I may try it soon, but I have been having very good results with just changing the Interactive to Ondemand and bumping the clock up to max 1674 speed. Runs rather nice like that.

Lip Lip Lip
Thanks!

[NIGHTLIES] Evervolv 7.1

Just want to add that I'm on 11/3 and the performance improvement and overall latency is much improved - I am happy to use this build as a daily driver. Previous builds would have their moments, but would always start lagging (especially when coming out of sleep), but I have not had any of those problems with 11/3. Sure, there is an occasional lag here and there, but it resolves itself immediately and it's honesty night and day compared to previous builds. I have not experimented with kernel updates, and I may do that later, but for now, I'm very happy to use this table with 11/3. Thank you Devs!!

[NIGHTLIES] Evervolv 7.1

I had mothballed my TP some months back as it was just too laggy to be usable. I thought to look here yesterday and things sounded promising enough I figured it was worth a shot. I tried a DF - horrible lag, still. I then did a clean install - 11/03 ROM, latest nano-GAPPS, and the 11/17 Shumash kernel. With all the kernel adiutor tunings I had before that had helped, some, I am still finding it lags/freezes too much to be useful. Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong? Otherwise, I may try reverting back to CM11 or CM12 and see if that is usable. I'd really love to keep my TP usable/useful.

Many thanks.

[NIGHTLIES] Evervolv 7.1

sprocketpc wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:39 am
I had mothballed my TP some months back as it was just too laggy to be usable. I thought to look here yesterday and things sounded promising enough I figured it was worth a shot. I tried a DF - horrible lag, still. I then did a clean install - 11/03 ROM, latest nano-GAPPS, and the 11/17 Shumash kernel. With all the kernel adiutor tunings I had before that had helped, some, I am still finding it lags/freezes too much to be useful. Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong? Otherwise, I may try reverting back to CM11 or CM12 and see if that is usable. I'd really love to keep my TP usable/useful.

Many thanks.
Have you read this entire thread? If you did, you would find builds from earlier in 2017 worked quite well.

NT

[NIGHTLIES] Evervolv 7.1

nevertells2 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 am
sprocketpc wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:39 am

Many thanks.
Have you read this entire thread? If you did, you would find builds from earlier in 2017 worked quite well.

NT
Yes, thanks - well, all the older ones and most of the more recent ones. I had been using Evervolv 7.0->7.1 since last winter, thrilled when I first found it that it worked better than, now that I think of it, CM12 (I guess you had posted a while back you were using CM11 as it was more responsive, which is what I am thinking of trying to downgrade to). I was getting the same hangs/lags everyone else was. The advice to set kernel samepage merging really helped. I found setting the TP to reboot every night meant usually it would work well first thing in the AM (breakfast...) before bogging down. When someone posted kernel adiutor settings, that helped some more. But I still got random hangs and periods of very slow response and finally gave up in late August. I came back, saw the most recent posts looked really promising for the 10/30 and 11/3 nightlies, and decided to give it another try, scanning back from most recent for any tips.

So I don't think I've committed any noob errors or ignored instructions about what makes it work, which is why I am puzzled that even after a wipe/clean install, I am not getting the results others seem to be.

[NIGHTLIES] Evervolv 7.1

I have asked this quite a few times, but has anyone really put their finger on what is happening on a hardware level / OS - Kernel level when these lag events happen?

Are the lag events evidencing themselves on the testing ROMS for Android 8?

It still seems to me that the lag events are so random in nature that something very simple and key is being missed by all of us somehow.

I have one of these tablets (I am running 4 of them with the 7.1 flashed up to 11/03 ) running All in One Toolbox.

Not sure how I got All in one Toolbox doing what it is as I recall just having installed it and left it on the default settings, but I see small blue and white pop-up's from it, usually when the tablet comes out of sleep mode, stating that it has stopped 6 or 7 sometimes 8 or 9 applications from the background, even when I am running that particular tablet "clean" so as to say quitting each application I am using after I am done with it and not leaving anything running when it is docked or plugged to stock charger via USB and allowed to sleep.

Perhaps there is something in what All in one Toolbox is finding running that it is quitting that can provide a clue for these fine devs we have here to get a grasp on what is causing these seemingly random nonsensical lag events.

The tablet that has this behavior with All in one Toolbox reporting background apps being stopped positively seems to be in a better state of having less lag events, although they do still happen occasionally.

Additionally I'll add that I have not had tons of time to mess with this finding as I am rather busy catching up with client issues after spending a LOT of time contracting and supervising painting and roofing and then re-financing my 100 year old home. So as per usual time is quite limited.

Perhaps some of the users here can duplicate this test I am into with the All in one Toolbox. It seems a decent piece of software and has pulled my Droid Inc 1 (yes the first Verizon Droid Single core 900 mhz Snapdragon / Adreno 2xx Graphics 512 Ram 8 GIG Flas Memory device with a 32 GIG MicroSD in it) running Evervolv custom build by Tiny June-2014 ROM Android 4.4.4. The All in one Toolbox app pulled that phone out of the state of not having enough space to update the apps I have on it so nicely that I figured I would try the AIO Toolbox on the Touchpads

I use the Droid Inc 1 for the same reason as the touchpads. Good long battery life for streaming audio and a fabulously capable speaker that is loud enough for me to hear talk radio program material over a shower or my 400 cubic foot per minute outgoing fan at my kitchen stove I use to avoid exposing the wife and kids to my smoke from cigarettes and little cigars and WEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!

Load up that All in one Toolbox people and see what you get from it if you can please.

P.S. I JUST DONATED 25 DOLLARS TO THESE FINE PEOPLE RUNNING THIS SITE DON'T BE CHEAP BASS TURDS!!!!

DONATE DONATE DONATE DONATE IN THE SPIRIT OF JERRY FREAKIN LEWIS DONATE DONATE!!!

PUT YUR PANTZ BACK ON YU PHILTHEY PHLASHERS!!!!! (T.M.)

Lip Lip Lip

[NIGHTLIES] Evervolv 7.1

lip wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:24 am
I have asked this quite a few times, but has anyone really put their finger on what is happening on a hardware level / OS - Kernel level when these lag events happen?

Are the lag events evidencing themselves on the testing ROMS for Android 8?

It still seems to me that the lag events are so random in nature that something very simple and key is being missed by all of us somehow.

I have one of these tablets (I am running 4 of them with the 7.1 flashed up to 11/03 ) running All in One Toolbox.

Not sure how I got All in one Toolbox doing what it is as I recall just having installed it and left it on the default settings, but I see small blue and white pop-up's from it, usually when the tablet comes out of sleep mode, stating that it has stopped 6 or 7 sometimes 8 or 9 applications from the background, even when I am running that particular tablet "clean" so as to say quitting each application I am using after I am done with it and not leaving anything running when it is docked or plugged to stock charger via USB and allowed to sleep.

Perhaps there is something in what All in one Toolbox is finding running that it is quitting that can provide a clue for these fine devs we have here to get a grasp on what is causing these seemingly random nonsensical lag events.

The tablet that has this behavior with All in one Toolbox reporting background apps being stopped positively seems to be in a better state of having less lag events, although they do still happen occasionally.

Additionally I'll add that I have not had tons of time to mess with this finding as I am rather busy catching up with client issues after spending a LOT of time contracting and supervising painting and roofing and then re-financing my 100 year old home. So as per usual time is quite limited.

Perhaps some of the users here can duplicate this test I am into with the All in one Toolbox. It seems a decent piece of software and has pulled my Droid Inc 1 (yes the first Verizon Droid Single core 900 mhz Snapdragon / Adreno 2xx Graphics 512 Ram 8 GIG Flas Memory device with a 32 GIG MicroSD in it) running Evervolv custom build by Tiny June-2014 ROM Android 4.4.4. The All in one Toolbox app pulled that phone out of the state of not having enough space to update the apps I have on it so nicely that I figured I would try the AIO Toolbox on the Touchpads

I use the Droid Inc 1 for the same reason as the touchpads. Good long battery life for streaming audio and a fabulously capable speaker that is loud enough for me to hear talk radio program material over a shower or my 400 cubic foot per minute outgoing fan at my kitchen stove I use to avoid exposing the wife and kids to my smoke from cigarettes and little cigars and WEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!

Load up that All in one Toolbox people and see what you get from it if you can please.

P.S. I JUST DONATED 25 DOLLARS TO THESE FINE PEOPLE RUNNING THIS SITE DON'T BE CHEAP BASS TURDS!!!!

DONATE DONATE DONATE DONATE IN THE SPIRIT OF JERRY FREAKIN LEWIS DONATE DONATE!!!

PUT YUR PANTZ BACK ON YU PHILTHEY PHLASHERS!!!!! (T.M.)

Lip Lip Lip

So interestingly, I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus which has similar specs to the Touchpad. Dualcore 1.2 Gigahertz processor (TI OMAP) and 970 Megabytes of ram

The person doing the Dev on XDA is Ziyan and the ROM is the Unlegacy 7.1 which works on all three versions of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

The last ROM released was on 11-18-2017 and previous to Ziyan's 11-18 rom the phone had very similar trouble to our Touchpad efforts on Android 7.1

The XDA thread for the UnLegacy ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus has Zyian indicating that Memory leaks were causing the trouble and I have to say, after his last patches to this ROM I flashed up the 11-17 Unlegacy ROM for the GNEX and I have to say that the memory leak patches that Ziyan came up with FIXED THAT PIG AND GOOD!

So I dunno if much effort is happening on here any further as the activity on this thread has all but stopped but if the big bad mad rad devs could speak with Ziyan and see what the nature is of the way he fixed the RAM leaks on the GNEX 7.1, I suspect that they might possibly translate to working on this 7.1 Touchpad ROM.

Thanks Devs!

All the rest of you PHILTHY PHLASHERS.............PUT YUR PANTZ BACK ON!!!!

8)

Lip Lip Lip

P.S. Damn I wish I could code......but I am be CODETARDED

Wanted to add that I have had additional time on the GNEX running the Ziyan (XDA Dev) 11-18-2017 ROM for it and the GNEX used to suffer most of the same lags and needs for reboots that the Touchpad did and this newest ROM from Ziyan seems totally free of that behavior, so it looks like mine and others initial supposition that ram leaking was the lag trouble IS likely the trouble and it looks like Ziyan's patches positively cleared them up for my GNEX. Would LOVE to see if they apply to the Touchpad. Thanks.

Lip Lip Lip
Last edited by lip on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HP Touchpad (tenderloin)”