We now are offering Devs Base Swag. Get yours now.
https://teespring.com/devs-base-swag
http://www.zazzle.com/devs_base

[RC] Dirty Unicorns 11 -- Shamu

Yeah, I was thinking about using a hairdryer. You've all probably experienced how hot the phone can get when pushing the CPU/GPU using a graphic intensive game or app so I know it can handle a bit of heat. I won't go that far in heating it up as much but just a little to make it easier. Anyway, thank you all for the advice. It sure does help me and I'm sure it will help others thinking about going through the same procedure. Sorry about the OT Mark.

New Rc build online - du_shamu-v11.6-20170813-1726-RC.zip (474.2mb)

** UPDATE 130817 - updated kernel , removed a lot of stuff added in last RC as in hindsight i felt were not of any real benefit **

** UPDATE 130817 - Omnisubs/theme commits included but a WIP - find in settings and substratum app **

Nearing the end with official build 180817 so feedback is needed on battery life idle + active , usage in general etc etc...

** Check gerrit for details of open and merged commits ( everything included thats device/rom specific except snap camera . -1, -2 or XX commits ) **

Du updater or https://download.dirtyunicorns.com/down ... 726-RC.zip

Re: [RC] Dirty Unicorns 11 -- Shamu

Moepda wrote:All feedback appreciated as only 4 days until final nougat build !!! if anything is amiss speak now as once official is out thats it until 0 ...
The latest ROM is very stable. Still testing the kernel but was removed in the kernel Mark?

I think overall your nougat build is good and stable it's been a pleasure testing and helping improve the kernel. I look forward, with high hopes, that "O" won't be 64bit only and we can still have the latest and greatest release on our Nexus.

Wavedashdoc wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:02 pm
Moepda wrote:All feedback appreciated as only 4 days until final nougat build !!! if anything is amiss speak now as once official is out thats it until 0 ...
The latest ROM is very stable. Still testing the kernel but was removed in the kernel Mark?

I think overall your nougat build is good and stable it's been a pleasure testing and helping improve the kernel. I look forward, with high hopes, that "O" won't be 64bit only and we can still have the latest and greatest release on our Nexus.

if O is 64bit then were screwed !!!

100817 RC KERNEL - https://github.com/moepda/android_kerne ... tree/aug10

130817 RC KERNEL - https://github.com/moepda/android_kerne ... tree/aug12
Last edited by Moepda on Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moepda wrote:
Wavedashdoc wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:02 pm

if O is 64bit then were screwed !!!

100817 RC KERNEL - https://github.com/moepda/android_kerne ... tree/aug10

130817 RC KERNEL - https://github.com/moepda/android_kerne ... u/tree/n7x
I am confused... How can source code be 32 or 64 bit?

I do see how a lack of new 32 bit binaries would be annoying... But not impossible to deal with?

Unless you're saying something I don't understand?

If worst comes to worst we'll probably have a hacked build with parts from nougat, which actually aren't that bad either. My guess is that where we would notice the bigger difference is in the apps that gets launched. Take for example Google Camera. Last update for arm was in december. Now the later updates are only for arm64. In future we would need to rely on alternative apps as 32bit won't get updated. (I'm looking at Google and not at other developers). My hopes are that someone takes on the aosp apps and updates those. Then again, it's probably easier to buy a new phone than going trough all that hassle.

On a side note, my new battery arrived this morning. Itching for the evening to come when I'm home and my children are asleep. After I have swapped the battery, I'll flash the newest build. Hopefully I can give some feedback before Friday comes.

Arju wrote:If worst comes to worst we'll probably have a hacked build with parts from nougat, which actually aren't that bad either. My guess is that where we would notice the bigger difference is in the apps that gets launched. Take for example Google Camera. Last update for arm was in december. Now the later updates are only for arm64. In future we would need to rely on alternative apps as 32bit won't get updated. (I'm looking at Google and not at other developers). My hopes are that someone takes on the aosp apps and updates those. Then again, it's probably easier to buy a new phone than going trough all that hassle.

On a side note, my new battery arrived this morning. Itching for the evening to come when I'm home and my children are asleep. After I have swapped the battery, I'll flash the newest build. Hopefully I can give some feedback before Friday comes.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I'm hoping someone at some point will port the 4.4 camera over to 32bit but 4.2 is still great for taking pictures.

We'll just have to wait and see. All I can say is that it will be hard leaving the Nexus 6 once development dries up (just like with the Galaxy Nexus) though this phone stands to last a lot longer since our specs are still decent. I'll definitely be interested in seeing what the pixel 2 XL has in-store but I'll be staying with the 6 for at least another year no matter what.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Devs Base mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Read earlier that something like 70+ % of all android phones are on marshmallow or lower so Google will need to support apps etc as this must mean many phones are still 32 bit . There are many great Devs still with Shamu so between everyone I'm confident we will be ok ... Here's to hoping !!!!

Wohoo, I finally swapped my battery. Prying of the back cover was easy (I didn't apply heat to the back). Everything else was a real test of patience. I wish I had a T3 screwdriver. As mentioned before on this thread, seems like the quality of the nuts are crap. There was this 1 nut on right below the buttons that would not come off but all the others would. So I was forced to open the phone from an angle and carefully pull out the old and slide in the new. I've checked everything before I put everything back together. Even the qi charging works where I reused the old coil. I'm about charge it up and then flash the latest RC. Will have to run at least 2-3 cycles before I can comment on the battery life. Thank you all who gave me advice.

Return to “Nexus 6 (shamu)”