We now are offering Devs Base Swag. Get yours now.
https://teespring.com/devs-base-swag
http://www.zazzle.com/devs_base

[RC] Dirty Unicorns 11 -- Shamu

Moepda wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:39 pm
can you confirm an rc build that does not have the issue ??

Is the issue present in video call ? Voice call ? Or both ?

duo->duo or duo to other ?
To your first question: On the top of my head I don't. I'll have to try some of the older builds to find out which did not have that issue. I'll do this later on during the week. (It's my wife's birthday today so I'll have to dedicate this day to her haha.)

To your second question: I have only tested Video call and it happens on loud speaker, not while I use a handsfree. I haven't tried voice call yet. Will have to test it out and let you know.

To your third question: Only duo-duo. Think Duo can only call to duo.

As I mentioned earlier, when placing a normal phone call (not using duo), everything works great on loudspeaker. I thought it was the apps fault at the beginning but it seems to be working on stock and on crDroid. I'll keep on doing some tests from tomorrow and onwards to answer you thoroughly.

If the app works for everyone else who uses it, then my conclusion would be either it's a result of me having a poor battery or it might be another weird hardware failure at hand. I'm hoping that if I can rule out the squeaky sound issue and make it work then I'll just replace my battery. If not it would suck to buy a phone on contract as there are no good phones (with custom rom support) to buy on contract here in Sweden. We're one of those countries who didn't get the Pixel phones). - sorry for my rant.

Arju wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:48 am
Moepda wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:39 pm
can you confirm an rc build that does not have the issue ??

Is the issue present in video call ? Voice call ? Or both ?

duo->duo or duo to other ?
To your first question: On the top of my head I don't. I'll have to try some of the older builds to find out which did not have that issue. I'll do this later on during the week. (It's my wife's birthday today so I'll have to dedicate this day to her haha.)

To your second question: I have only tested Video call and it happens on loud speaker, not while I use a handsfree. I haven't tried voice call yet. Will have to test it out and let you know.

To your third question: Only duo-duo. Think Duo can only call to duo.

As I mentioned earlier, when placing a normal phone call (not using duo), everything works great on loudspeaker. I thought it was the apps fault at the beginning but it seems to be working on stock and on crDroid. I'll keep on doing some tests from tomorrow and onwards to answer you thoroughly.

If the app works for everyone else who uses it, then my conclusion would be either it's a result of me having a poor battery or it might be another weird hardware failure at hand. I'm hoping that if I can rule out the squeaky sound issue and make it work then I'll just replace my battery. If not it would suck to buy a phone on contract as there are no good phones (with custom rom support) to buy on contract here in Sweden. We're one of those countries who didn't get the Pixel phones). - sorry for my rant.
cheers for your feedback , i dont use duo but have installed it , now to get the gf to install so i can test a video call !!

@Moepda So I tested running some RC builds I have all the way back to the latest weekly found in AFH (It was from late May) but the issue still persists. As the the older RC builds doesn't get saved, I'll keep trying older weekly builds. I'm limited in trying as we're having friends from abroad staying at our place until Friday (I know, I know, first world problems). I will continue to try at keep you updated. On another note, have you been able to test it out by any chance?

I'm beginning to feel that either others aren't using Duo, hence not experiencing this or the issue only is centered around my device. It could be the battery that it is in desperate need of a change.

Due to the battery being a bit wonky (need my phone for work) and the need of Duo for work purposes, I've been using an iPhone 5s during work, Oh My Goodness!!!!! Worst experience ever. I'd take any old low end android device than this phone. Even Nova launcher (if ever to exist on ios) could never fix the experience on an ipoop.

@Moepda I flashed build DU_shamu_7.1.2_20170421-1407.v11.3-WEEKLIES.zip Duo works perfectly on this build. The recipient hears no more squeaky sound.

[Edit]

@Moepda so I'll edit this post instead of making new posts and being called out as a double poster. I've been running the build I mentioned above, DU 11.3.Weekly.
It's been running great as in terms of battery life. Duo has been working flawlessly too. AccuBattery says that my estimated battery capacity is 3028mAh as of opposed to 2884mAh that I was getting on the latest RC. I get around 4 hours of SOT on 11.3 and on the latest RC I'm lucky if I get around 3. On 11.3 the battery doesn't suddenly shut of. It runs all the way down to 0% and I get a "shutting of" toast message instead of completely dying between 8%-13%. This is without having the battery saver option on. On 11.6 I have to have the battery saver kick in at 15% for the battery to reach around 5% before it dies without a notice.

So I'm not sure what's going on. If my memory serves me correct, have we removed the thermal trottle at 40% in the later builds? Could it be that what's causing the phone to have a sudden death instead of receiving the toast message for shut down?

These are my observations and thoughts after running the 11.3 weekly for 2 days. The latest RC is for sure more snappier but could it be at the cost of battery life?

Sorry for all the questions haha.

Arju wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:28 pm
@Moepda I flashed build DU_shamu_7.1.2_20170421-1407.v11.3-WEEKLIES.zip Duo works perfectly on this build. The recipient hears no more squeaky sound.

[Edit]

@Moepda so I'll edit this post instead of making new posts and being called out as a double poster. I've been running the build I mentioned above, DU 11.3.Weekly.
It's been running great as in terms of battery life. Duo has been working flawlessly too. AccuBattery says that my estimated battery capacity is 3028mAh as of opposed to 2884mAh that I was getting on the latest RC. I get around 4 hours of SOT on 11.3 and on the latest RC I'm lucky if I get around 3. On 11.3 the battery doesn't suddenly shut of. It runs all the way down to 0% and I get a "shutting of" toast message instead of completely dying between 8%-13%. This is without having the battery saver option on. On 11.6 I have to have the battery saver kick in at 15% for the battery to reach around 5% before it dies without a notice.

So I'm not sure what's going on. If my memory serves me correct, have we removed the thermal trottle at 40% in the later builds? Could it be that what's causing the phone to have a sudden death instead of receiving the toast message for shut down?

These are my observations and thoughts after running the 11.3 weekly for 2 days. The latest RC is for sure more snappier but could it be at the cost of battery life?

Sorry for all the questions haha.

So having re-assessed the throttling issue i have rebased device,kernel and vendor . put throttling/bcl back to stock and started again .
As im running a build now as i have changed the following :

stock:
cpu throttles down from 2647->1958 at 40% battery approx
gpu throttles from 600mhz->500mhz at approx 25% , 500mhz->389mhz at approx 10% and 389mhz->300mhz at approx 5%
cores listed as 0-3 . core 3 shuts off at approx approx 15% and core 2 at approx 9->8%

old:
no throttling of cpu (stays at max freq until phone dies - 2647mhz cpu)
600mhz gpu all the time
4 cores online all the time

new:
cpu throttles down from 2647->2265 at 40% battery approx (stock is 1958mhz)
gpu throttles from 600mhz->500mhz at 13->12% , 500mhz->389mhz at 9->8% and 300mhz at 5%
cores listed as 0-3 . core 3 shuts off at approx 13->12% and core 2 at approx 9->8%

As such cores now turn off but at lower battery than default and cpu sits approx 25% higher than stock mitigation frequency . gpu is closer to stock also.

device tree pruned a bit also.

Rc coming next few days ^^ info on new section subject to change

New Rc build online - du_shamu-v11.6-20170724-1234-RC.zip (460.1mb)

** Check gerrit for details of open and merged commits ( everything included thats device/rom specific except snap camera . -1, -2 or XX commits ) **

So having re-assessed the throttling issue i have rebased device,kernel and vendor . put throttling/bcl back to stock and started again .
I have changed the following :

stock:
gpu throttles from 600mhz->500mhz at approx 25% , 500mhz->389mhz at approx 10% and 389mhz->300mhz at approx 5%
cores listed as 0-3 . core 3 shuts off at approx approx 15% and core 2 at approx 9->8%

old:
600mhz gpu all the time

new:
cpu throttles down from 2647->2265 at approx 40% battery (stock is 1958mhz)
gpu throttles from 600mhz->500mhz at 13->12% , 500mhz->389mhz at 9->8% and 389mhz->300mhz at 5%
cores listed as 0-3 . core 3 shuts off at approx 13->12% and core 2 at approx 9->8%

device tree : ok google should be more reliable this time
bt/wifi power ratio adjusted
interactive update so boost is 150ms not 400ms
increase heapminfree
increase hwui large cache height +more

kernel : loads of under the hood commits but also turn off all wakelocks , update sdcardfs , update iosched switcher + more

Re: [RC] Dirty Unicorns 11 -- Shamu

Moepda wrote: New Rc build online - du_shamu-v11.6-20170724-1234-RC.zip (460.1mb)

** Check gerrit for details of open and merged commits ( everything included thats device/rom specific except snap camera . -1, -2 or XX commits ) **

I have changed the following :

stock:

old:
600mhz gpu all the time

new:
cpu throttles down from 2647->2265 at approx 40% battery (stock is 1958mhz)
gpu throttles from 600mhz->500mhz at 13->12% , 500mhz->389mhz at 9->8% and 389mhz->300mhz at 5%

device tree : ok google should be more reliable this time
bt/wifi power ratio adjusted
interactive update so boost is 150ms not 400ms
increase heapminfree
increase hwui large cache height +more

kernel : loads of under the hood commits but also turn off all wakelocks , update sdcardfs , update iosched switcher + more
Nice, will update later today. Nice work as always :-)

@Moepda i'm having issues with this latest build.
I clean flashed this build twice with todays open gapps nano package and Magisk 13.3. I ran through set up and haven't changed any settings. My screen timeout is on stock 30 sec. Once that time goes out and my screen turns off my phone reboots. So basically whenever my screen turns off it reboots. As of now it's 100% reproducable on my phone. The first tine I clean flashed my phone was force closing some kind of service several times so i reflashed it again. I have a screenshot of it. What kind of log would you need for this issue?

Edit: here comes dmesg: https://pastebin.com/M6Dx0njq
Attachments
Screenshot_20170724-193237.png

Return to “Nexus 6 (shamu)”