We now are offering Devs Base Swag. Get yours now.
https://teespring.com/devs-base-swag
http://www.zazzle.com/devs_base

[OTHER][TWEAK] Interactive Governor Profiles  

Welcome to the new, refined home for Interactive Governor Tweaks and Profiles! Based off the work and philosophy of SoniCron from XDA, discussion of these tweaks, profiles, and scripts will now take place here. I plan for this post to be clear, concise, and act as a more legible resource for those curious about Interactive governor tweaks. This will hopefully cut down on the amount of posts asking the same questions over and over again.

PLEASE NOTE: These tweaks are meant for the Nexus 5X and other Snapdragon 808 devices ONLY. The approach taken to arrive at the governor values within the profiles in this thread or in this post below can still be followed for potentially any current Android phone on out there, but I will only support users of the Nexus 5X. There are simply too many variables and subtle differences between devices and I cannot test my tweaks on other devices because I'm a normal person and only own one phone.

The Goal
To help increase battery life and/or the performance of our device through knowledgeable discussion and testing. This thread will embrace intelligible conversation, willingness to contribute and help others (to a point), and eagerness to educate ourselves further. I won't be holding anyone's hand. If you're not comfortable messing with your phone, this is not the place for you. I am also not a genius. I do not know everything about Android. I do like the rest of us, make mistakes and plan to learn from them. I hope that this discussion leads to all of us bettering our devices and us learning more about them, including myself. So if you find yourself in a position where you are more knowledgeable on a certain topic than another member (myself included), do not be afraid to help educate the other member in a professional manner (don't be a dick).

The Basics
The Processor
Our phone contains the Snapdragon 808 CPU. This CPU is built on the big.LITTLE architecture, meaning there are two clusters; a Big cluster and a LITTLE cluster. I spell the LITTLE cluster obnoxiously in all capitals because it emphasizes the architecture and the way that the two clusters are meant to be used. In a nutshell, the LITTLE cluster is used quite often. It's the workhorse cluster, crunching the numbers on every single task you ask of your phone, no matter how daunting. This cluster is comprised of four A53 cores. These cores are power efficient, but tend to be less efficient as their clock speeds go up. When a task is decided by the scheduler to be too large, or if things get too busy, the phone will pass on some of the workload to the Big cluster, which is comprised of two A57 cores. These cores are much more power hungry than the A53 cores, but tend to be more efficient as their clock speed rises. These cores can also accomplish more in less time, so this cluster can be thought of as a Burst CPU. In other words, when things get hot and heavy, the Big cluster steps in to tackle the workload and then goes right back to idle in an effort to save power. In fact, these cores are usually put to sleep when the screen is off.

The CPU Governor
The way the CPU behaves is controlled by something called a governor and we will mainly focus on the Interactive governor in this thread. The Interactive governor was created by Google for Android devices to be smooth yet more power efficient when compared to simpler governors like OnDemand used in older devices. The Interactive governor determines the CPU's behavior by several values or parameters that, with the help of root access, can be modified. It is strongly recommended that one reads Section 2.6 of the CPUFreq Documentation which details the inner-workings of the governor in a high-level and relatively easy to understand way. It is important to understand these values so that users can better comprehend what these profiles and tweaks do and why. I'll do my best to simplify the different values below:
  • min_sample_time: The minimum amount of time to spend at a particular frequency before ramping down. This value is defined in microseconds, meaning if it were set to '50000', the CPU has to spend 50ms or 1/20th of a second at a particular frequency before ramping down. This is to prevent the CPU from behaving too erratically, which can be a drain on power. The higher the value, the longer the CPU must stay at that frequency, and vice versa.
  • timer_rate: Confusingly, when compared to the value above, this is basically the sample rate. This value, also defined in microseconds, determines how long the CPU must take to evaluate the current workload. The lower the value, the more responsive the CPU will be to the current workload of the phone. This results in the CPU clock speed changing quite often. The higher the value, the more lethargic the CPU becomes. This is an important value because striking a balance between hectic behavior and lackadaisical behavior can make a difference when it comes to performance and battery life.
  • go_hispeed_load: Load is calculated by the CPU's scheduler. And while I won't be getting into that here, it is an interesting read. When the CPU load reaches or exceeds this value, the CPU will immediately jumped to the defined frequency. This value is on a scale of 0-100.
  • hispeed_freq: This is the frequency that the CPU will jump to when go_hispeed_load is reached or exceeded. The value is defined in kHz. Ex. 960 MHz = 960000 kHz
  • target_loads: Arguably the most important parameter of the Interactive governor. This determines how the CPU behaves and its eagerness to jump to the next frequency based on CPU load. The format for this can be a load value or a series of frequencies with respective target loads. ex. 90 OR 75 672000:30 960000:85 1440000:100 In the latter example, there is a target_load defined for any frequency below 672 MHz. This means for the CPU to raise itself to the next frequency step, the current workload must be calculated by the scheduler to be at least 75 (out of 100). Each time the CPU frequency is raised, the workload value is reevaluated and the CPU will keep raising the clock speeds until the workload is lower than the defined target_load. When the CPU reaches 672 MHz, the CPU can ONLY step up to the next frequency if the current workload exceeds 30. Note, that at any time, if the workload exceeds go_hispeed_load that the CPU jump to the hispeed if it is not already running at a higher frequency than hispeed_freq. For every frequency after 672 MHz, the target_load is also 30, until it reaches 960 MHz. So, although many of the profiles included here define a target_load for every single frequency, it is not compulsory.
  • above_hispeed_delay: Measured, again, in microseconds, this parameter defines an extra amount of time the phone must spend evaluating the workload (sample rate) ON TOP OF the timer_rate. For example, the hispeed_freq is 960 MHz and the timer_rate is 50000 (50ms). If above_hispeed_delay is defined as 20000 or 20ms, then in order for the CPU to jump to the next frequency above 960 MHz, the CPU must spend a total of 70ms evaluating the workload. This is to prevent the CPU from ramping up too aggressively.
  • max_freq_hysteresis: This value tells the CPU how long it must maintain the highest achievable frequency when it has reached said frequency. For example, if the maximum frequency of the CPU is 1632 MHz, and the CPU reaches said frequency, then it MUST stay at this frequency for the amount of time defined in max_freq_hysteresis. This value is in microseconds and is usually used to prevent the CPU from ramping back down before another chunk of the workload is reached, resulting in poor performance.
By changing these values, we can change the way the CPU in our phone behaves. Please note that there are two sets of these settings, one for the LITTLE cluster and one for the big cluster.

CPU Boost
In almost every case, you'll want to disable touchboost. This is to save power and it is vital to the correct operation of the profiles in this thread. Instead of using Touchboost, the use of Input Boost is highly recommended. Input Boost is an easy topic to grasp, as it's basically a way of boosting the CPU clocks to a certain frequency whenever you interact with the screen. This provides for a fluid user experience and also allows for the CPU to idle while simply staring at the phone or when the screen is on. There are three values that we will focus on:
  • Input Boost Enabled: Self Explanatory, but you're going to want to make sure this is set to '1' or 'enabled'.
  • Input Boost Frequency: This defines which cores are boosted and to what frequency they're boosted to. It is common practice to only boost the LITTLE cluster, for efficiency reasons. The value is in a core#:frequency(in kHz) format. ex. 0:672000 1:672000 2:672000 3:672000 4:0 5:0 This means that the entire LITTLE cluster will be boosted to 672 MHz upon interacting with the screen if the CPU frequency does not already exceed that value. Please note that the cores are numbered starting at 0, not 1. The LITTLE cores are always first (0-3), which the big cores are always last (4 and 5).
  • Input Boost Milliseconds: This determines how long the cores will be boosted, in milliseconds. If the value is set to, say, 40, the cores will be boosted to at least the defined frequency for the entire duration and 40 milliseconds after the user is done interacting with the phone.
Tweaking the Interactive Governor
Hopefully now you have a better understanding of the different parts of the Interactive governor. The next step is either trying different profiles or tweaking the governors yourself. I'd rather not link anything to XDA, but because of the shear amount of space that the write-up consumes, SoniCron's guide for customizing the Interactive Governor to your liking is defined here.

Bash Scripts
Originally, people would share the values and rely on others to copy the values correctly to their phones. I came up with the simple idea to apply them via a bash script, which could be shared with others and provide an easy one-click kind of way to apply a set of settings. This approach is sometimes preferred because conditional statements and other logic can be written into the scripts, like detecting over and underclocking. These scripts must be run at least once and then the settings marked to be applied on boot in any Kernel Management app of your choosing. This avenue is attractive for those that prefer not to use EXKM.

Init.d/su.d Scripts
These are basically the bash scripts with one extra line delaying the execution for an additional 40 seconds. These scripts, like all init.d and su.d scripts are run on boot. This option is attractive to people that prefer not to use a Kernel App to apply the CPU settings. These scripts require a custom kernel that supports init.d or su.d scripts and therefore do not work for everyone.

Profiles
Thanks to ElementalX Kernel Developer, flar2, sharing and changing governor settings on the fly has never been easier. Utilizing the EX Kernel Manager app one can apply any number of included profiles, create their own, or download and install a profile of their choice and then load it in one click. Unfortunately there are several drawbacks to this approach. The app costs money, custom profiles do not save things like input boost and current governor, requiring the user to edit their own profile in a text editor, and logic/conditional statements cannot be written into these profiles like they can be in the bash scripts.

Conclusion
I hope this sheds some light on how these profiles and scripts work. Please head to post #2 for a list of Current Profiles and their descriptions. This post and the post below will be consistently updated for legibility and so that they contain the most up-to-date information. I will, of course, monitor this thread the best I can. However, I work a 9-5 during the week and I tend to disappear on weekends, because social life.
Last edited by Alcolawl on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Instructions
  1. Download and install the EX Kernel Manager app
  2. Download the file for the settings you'd like to apply. Descriptions of the different settings are located at the bottom of this post:
    Google Sheets Download Table
  3. Delete the file extension / Rename the file extension from ".txt" to nothing. (without the quotes, obviously... AFH won't let me host files without a file extension)
  4. Place the file in this directory: /storage/emulated/0/ElementalX/gov_profiles or simply navigate to your sd card and find the ElementalX folder and place the file in the gov_profile subdirectory.
  5. You're done! You can now load the profile in EX Kernel Manager by navigating to Governor Options section of the CPU settings.
If you're using the bash scripts follow these installation directions:
► Show Spoiler
Source: https://github.com/Alcolawl/Interactive-Governor-Tweaks

Profile Update Log- Used to make sure scripts are kept up to date with settings posted in the thread.
► Show Spoiler
Profile Descriptions
  • Kestrel - An Interactive Governor based profile that combines the smooth and efficient behavior of BlueJay with Input Boost and a slightly aggressive Big cluster for a zippy UX and maintained speedy performance while gaming or browsing. Tested extensively.
  • HawkTail - An Interactive Governor profile focused on fluidity and UX. Butter smooth in all situations. Minimal heat during web browsing and heavy texting sessions and gamers are praising this profile as well. Great SOT and battery life. The complete package and new candidate for the 'Stable v3.0' Settings.
  • GlassFish - A battery-focused Interactive Governor Profile released by SoniCron and the first truly cross-device compatible profile. This profile was written from the ground up with a different philosophy in mind that can be applied to almost any phone with a big.LITTLE chipset. It has a built in psuedo-touchboost that helps the phone maintain idle frequencies much longer than other profiles. Also fixes crackling issues with V4A / ARISE Sound.
  • FairPark - A new approach to the Interactive governor that ignores the philosophy in the OP. Simple, effective and efficient. Great battery drain results, SOT, idle efficiency and a smooth UX. However, users that browse a lot or do a lot of CPU heavy tasks should use the FairParkHE (High Efficiency) Profile instead. Not recommended for gamers.
  • DrunkSauce - A collaborative effort between Myself and Dirty Unicorns dev, NYCHitman1, this profile is a clean-sheet governor tweak that harnesses the enhanced efficiency of the tried and true Impulse governor with the new Ironactive governor (modified and updated Interactive Governor). These tweaks were so successful, that they went on to become the default settings in the current release of Dirty Unicorns ROM for Nexus 5X (Bullhead). Expect supreme fluidity and responsiveness while achieving good SOT and excellent idle drain.
    • DrunkSauceLite - The same profile and behavior as DrunkSauce but made for the Interactive governor instead of Impulse and Ironactive. This is strictly meant to expand compatibility with more N5X's as the previously mentioned governors are not available in most kernels, including stock.
I will never give SOT figures out when talking about one of my custom profiles due to the huge amount of unique factors that goes into that number. Everyone uses their phone differently. Different apps, brightness, cell signal, etc. Therefore SOT is not an accurate number and only leads to false impressions.
Last edited by Alcolawl on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jljd25 wrote:@Alcolawl would you mind explaining the difference between drunksauce and drunksaucelite? If there is any.....thanks[/url]
The only difference is that the Original DrunkSauce runs with Impulse and Ironactive as the Little and Big cluster governors whereas DrunkSauceLite uses the same exact values but with Interactive set as the governor for both clusters. DrunkSauce was really limited to a few kernels with those special governors, so DrunkSauceLite aims to share the same battery sipping performance of DrunkSauce with nearly anyone with a Nexus 5X.

Apologies. I meant to update the post here yesterday when I released it.

Return to “Nexus 5X (bullhead)”