We now are offering Devs Base Swag. Get yours now.
https://teespring.com/devs-base-swag
http://www.zazzle.com/devs_base

Some good CAF based ROM?

mr-tical

Some good CAF based ROM?

Sun May 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi all

I wrote on XDA also this question, but as XDA, there are different now than once..
I think to try some good CAF based ROM, mainly because of what I read ROM should be more stable, better optimized more updated in case of drivers..
Can you prefer some?
I do not have enough time now to test different ROMs, so that's why I'm asking.
Or maybe according to your knowledge and experience it may not be worth it to bother with my head this whole CAF thing?

Cheers and high five!
Adam

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Devs Base mobile app powered by Tapatalk

NYCHitman1
DU Lead

Some good CAF based ROM?

Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 pm

If you're a user, I don't think it makes much sense to focus on the whole AOSP vs. CAF aspect when you're looking for a ROM.

Download a few different ROMs, flash them, then make your decision on where you'd like to remain.

Good luck!
mr-tical

Re: Some good CAF based ROM?

Thu May 25, 2017 2:55 pm

NYCHitman1 wrote:If you're a user, I don't think it makes much sense to focus on the whole AOSP vs. CAF aspect when you're looking for a ROM.

Download a few different ROMs, flash them, then make your decision on where you'd like to remain.

Good luck!
I'm old flashoholic from recent few years
I'm tired of trying different ROMs.I thought I would ask, but I'm beginning to doubt that the game is worth the candle.Someone has recommended me to AICP, but I see that LOS does not work well, and I do not want to mix anymore.The question is, can we really feel the difference between AOSP and CAF?

NYCHitman1
DU Lead

Some good CAF based ROM?

Thu May 25, 2017 7:24 pm

mr-tical wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 2:55 pm
NYCHitman1 wrote:If you're a user, I don't think it makes much sense to focus on the whole AOSP vs. CAF aspect when you're looking for a ROM.

Good luck!
I'm old flashoholic from recent few years
I'm tired of trying different ROMs.I thought I would ask, but I'm beginning to doubt that the game is worth the candle.Someone has recommended me to AICP, but I see that LOS does not work well, and I do not want to mix anymore.The question is, can we really feel the difference between AOSP and CAF?

Of course you can, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I mean by that is that what others deem as good, may not always represent your opinion when you try the same.
Yoinx

Thu May 25, 2017 10:48 pm

I agree with NYCHitman here.

If you are an end user, don't worry too much about AOSP vs CAF. Bugs happen regardless of the codebase that they came from. I don't know about the "feel" between the two. Ideally, if there are no bugs, the user shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The big difference is for the coders. CAF traditionally gets a lot out updates from a lot of sources. Are things updated more than AOSP? I suppose so. However, this isn't necessarily a good thing as the code can become more fragmented.

This fragmentation is typically where people complain about CAF. The code can become rather messy and unwieldy as an entity like El Google isn't maintaining it and enforcing certain standards.

Often with CAF devices, when the OEM releases sources, they do so without git history as just one tarball of the release files (and sometimes it doesn't even come as it should). This forces the developers to do quite a bit more work to understand what's going on with the code.

On the other hand... AOSP devices typically have full histories and fairly clean code. This makes the developer's life significantly easier.

Hence the source of the debate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Devs Base mobile app powered by Tapatalk

mr-tical

Fri May 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Great thanks guys for specific explanations. I like and appreciate technical discussions. I already know what to do and thank you again for the specific information.

Return to “Chit-Chat”